Friday, August 29, 2008

Student teaching?!?!

I am thankful to let everybody know that I have had another successful week!!! I will be doing my field experience (observations & a little student teaching)! I have been fortunate enough to find out that keeping in touch with old teachers has been quite a wonderful thing in this situation. My professor explained to us that unless you have MAJOR connections through a DeKalb County School system... it's not gonna work. My plan was to get in touch with one of elementary school teachers, or another local elementary school where I know that principal. He use to be the Asst. Principal at Dunwoody High. However, long story short. I happen to e-mail one of my old high school teachers, and ask her to send me some vibes... it's just a fun thing that we do for each other when we know we are having problems or something big coming up. I mentioned that I need somewhere to do my field experience for my Education course at Georgia Perimeter, and the hunt will be starting very soon! I received an e-mail the next day, and she asked, "Would Dunwoody High work?" Honestly, I did not want to go back to Dunwoody back SO soon after graduating just two years ago, and I was thinking elementary school. As I think over it, it's actually fun thinking that I will be back, except not a student... even better!!!!!

I am going to have the opportunity to work with students that have autism and other mild intellectual disabilities. I have spoken with the classroom teacher, and I do know her from when I was there. Before she worked with autistic kids, she use to be in the regular classrooms helping kids with learning disabilities. I am VERY excited about this semester.