Friday, May 22, 2009

Summertime is awesome!

I'm loving every part of summertime.

I went to Dunwoody HS's graduation today, and that was such a flashback for me. Seriously. From the adrenaline high students to the crowds, and the blow horns, and the excitement of just getting high school came back to me. I watched many of my childhood friends graduate today, and the best part was I have been there done that.

I got a JOB! Schedule sounded too good to pass up, and it's being with a kid all day. Who can ask for anything better? I'll be babysitting my mom's boss' daughter. I am nervous about having that responsibility, but the mother was desperate. I would have felt awful if I had turned her down.

Grades turned out to be really good this semester. I'm satisfied. I am not ready for summer classes, but June 8th may not be here as soon as I think.

On Tuesday, I'm going to say goodbye to my mentor from high school. After 35 years of starting up the Special Education program at Dunwoody HS, she is finally retiring. Nobody really knew her because she was Special Ed. and she wasn't a well-known teacher. Honestly nobody liked her. She loved to be honest, and nowadays students don't like honesty from teachers. lol. She was my case-manager for the 4 years I was at Dunwoody. All Special Ed. had to do for me was my physical adaptations. I am not trying to brag, but I seemed to be the only student that really appreciated her while I was at Dunwoody. She started becoming "attached" to me, and of course I loved the attention, so we have been close for a long time. She taught my brother over 10 years ago, and now she walked me through high school. We still talk on a weekly basis, and I am anxious to see what happens after she retires. I hate that the high school has not recognized her for what she has done for Dunwoody, but I guess I don't know enough to start judging. I hope this isn't goodbye, but just another chapter to start with her. RETIREMENT!

Pool tomorrow? I hope so!

No comments: